Thursday, March 29, 2012

Off to Brandt-Roberts Gallery in Columbus, OH

"After the Rain", 18in x 18in, Oil on Canvas

"Taxi Crossing", 16in x 20in, Oil on Canvas

"Sal's", 18in x 24in, Oil on Canvas

I just shipped these three paintings to Brandt-Roberts Gallery in Columbus, OH.

"Goin' for the Body" 36in x 40in, Oil on Canvas

This painting was not just an excuse to paint boxers (though, I have to say, I love the subject matter), it illustrates the qualities of faith and determination. I am, and have always been, a HUGE fan of the Rocky fact, Rocky I is my all time favorite movie. That movie made such an impact, not only because of its artistic qualities, but because of the idea that it represents. In case you haven't seen the movie (if this is the case you are seriously missing out), Rocky is a not-so-talented club fighter who gets a chance at the big time - a shot at the world heavyweight title. If you watch the entire Rocky saga you learn that he goes on to become the heavyweight champ and a consistently successful boxer. However, his success is not a result of his natural talent as a fighter - it is a result of his faith and determination. 

That is what this piece is about. The man on the left is clearly fighting himself out of the corner (an undesirable place to be for any boxer). This painting is that moment in time where the inferior man rallies back from a loosing position and come out on top. Success is rarely ever the result of talent or good fortune. It's about consistency, hard work, courage and determination. This is a concept that I try to convey to my students in making art. Successful art is the result of maybe 5% talent/ability; the other 95% is work ethic and passion! 

1 Corinthians 1:27 "...God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty..."

Monday, March 26, 2012

"Remembering Old Orchard", 16in x 20in Oil on Canvas

This painting is of Old Orchard Beach, ME. My father used to vacation here with his family when he was a child. Old Orchard is not a fancy place; in fact it's a bit grungy. But it's that gritty quality which I found so appealing. And though I did not spend time there as a child, I still felt a connection with the place having seen old family photos and videos of my family's past vacations there.

Friday, March 23, 2012

"The Old Sink", 14in x 18in, Oil on Canvas

These pieces are a series of paintings based on my kitchen. More than this, they represent an idea. I paint things that remind me of times past - not simply for nostalgia's sake, but in reverence of old ideas/ways-of-life that are still valid today. These simple objects and environments represent a time that was characterized by a greater sense of aesthetics and not characterized by the superfluous sense of sanitization that is common today. This is not to say that all new ideas are bad and all old ideas are good; rather, these paintings are meant to remind us of things worth remembering and ideas that should not be discarded. In addition to using this subject matter as medium to communicate ideas, I also simply LOVE to paint this stuff, and it reminds me of my grandma's house!