Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"Golgotha", 18in x 24in, Oil on Panel


This is a painting that I recently made for a show at Ringling that accompanied Jesus Week. In my line of work I don't often get to paint Biblical scenes, so I found this show to be a perfect opportunity to paint a crucifixion themed painting. 

I felt honored to be able to portray Christ's sacrifice for us, and my intention was to do so, in what I thought, to be a very realist manner. Most paintings I see of Christ depict him as this rather delicate looking fellow. However, I hardly believe this would be an accurate description of his appearance. I imagine his appearance here on earth to be fairly rugged and weathered. After all, he was the son of a carpenter, who probably spent most of his time out doors. He kept company with working class people and vagabonds. He was no sissy. He was God who came to earth as a man,  suffered as a man, and died a gruesome death. This is the Gospel - that Christ died for US! 

No comments:

Post a Comment